Wednesday 26 September 2007

I am half!

I am half a year old today.

Today is my halfth birthday!

Like all birthdays - but perhaps more than most - the halfth birthday has traditionally been seen as a propitious occassion. It's an opportunity to take stock, to look back at what has been achieved, as well as to consider - or day I say re-assess - one's aspirations and objectives for the future.

A milestone, if you like, on the road of life.

With this in mind I have spent the day in a contemplative mood. Absent-mindedly chewing the beak of my rubber duck, I began to daydream about what things might have been; and what they turned out to be.


  • Does being half mean a new lease of life - or is it simply marking time, treading temporal water towards some as-yet indeterminate end-point?

  • Half means a new set of challenges - and of responsibilities.

  • Am I all I dreamed I'd be at the age of half?

Well, for all that thinking (not to mention the chewing), I didn't get very far in my search for answers. I suppose that, despite all the burden of anticipation, turning half does not guarantee an epiphany of insight into the human condition.

All I can say for sure is - with a mum and dad who adore me, a roof over my head and plenty of bananas to eat - back where I started isn't such a bad place to be.

Oh well - here's to the next half year!

This is a pcture of me with my friend Anna, taken at grandma Sherry's house in America.

3 comments:

PJ said...

I have a "Google alert" set up so I can keep track of blogs that are related to the island of Eleuthera.

As a result, whenever you post something about baby Eleuthera Jean, I get an email alert. While your blog isn't about the island of Eleuthera, I get a kick out of seeing the postings about the baby -- she's really cute and so is the blog. It puts a smile on my face every time I check it out. Good job!

So now you know why I check out the blog now and again. Hope you don't mind if I make an occasional post -- just having fun :-)

Happy 1/2 birthday baby Eleuthera Jean!

pj

Lucy said...

PJ - glad to add to you to my international circle of friends!

My mum and dad are taking me to Eleuthera (the island, that is) over New Year - we're staying in a rented house near Tarpum Bay.

If you have any insider's knowledge as to what we should see and do while we are there, then let me know!

PJ said...

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for adding me to your cirle. Hope you're getting over your ear infection...

Best thing you can do on Eleuthera is grab a bottle of formula and hit the beach -- any beach! And don't forget your sunscreen, girlfriend.

Take some bread and go feed the fishies over at Ocean Hole Park in Rock Sound. While you're there, maybe take Mum And Pop over to Sammy's and buy them some conch fritters.

Check out the open markets when you drive by. The Eleutherans are beautiful people.

If you visit Glass Window Bridge, watch your step. I wrote something about my wife and I's visit to Glass Window Bridge on my blog.

This is a virtual reality photo of Glass Window Bridge I took a few years ago. Just be careful you don't get dizzy looking at it :-)

Eleuthera is a place where you wake up in the morning with nothing to do and you're only half way done at the end of the day.

pj

P.S. Hey Lucy! We're looking forward to that trip report!